Summertime is quickly approaching and that means we have to work ourselves into tiptop shape for the season. We agree it’s not so easy to get back into that summer fitness mode, especially if you are traveling. Luckily Equinox’s Area Group Fitness Manager, Julie Valenti, shares her favorite tips on ways to achieve that healthy beach body we all want. Whether you are constantly traveling, or always on the run, these are actions you can take towards a healthier, leaner you without the use of any harsh diets. Just remember you must be consistent and keep a your favorite beach bod picture of yourself for inspiration.
Here are summer body tips:
1. Get Moving! The little things start to add up – take the stairs, park in the farthest spot in the parking lot, walk around the block during your lunch break. The more you move, the more you burn!!
2. Make a commitment. Commit to going to the gym 3-5 times/week. Put it out there, and hold yourself accountable. Find some challenging group fitness classes to take part in, and commit to making them part of your weekly schedule.
3. Make the most of your time. 20 minutes of high intensity interval training is much more effective than 60 minutes of a leisurely ride on the elliptical machine. Interval training is key – alternate between rounds of hard, high-intensity work that gets your heart rate up, mixed with less-intense rounds that allow you to catch your breath and actively recover. This will rev up your metabolism and allow your body to burn calories at an elevated rate for hours after your workout.
4. Lift weight! Don’t be afraid to lift heavy. Women have a pre-conceived notion that lifting heavy weights will bulk them up. Not true!! Women don’t have enough testosterone in their bodies to bulk up. Lifting heavy weight will replace fat with lean muscle – which not only takes up less space, but also turns your body into a calorie-burning machine.
5. Eat clean!! This is the hardest component, but THE most important!! You can work out like crazy and feel strong and be strong – but if you want to LOOK strong, you have to eat clean too. You are what you eat – literally!!! Fill your diet with fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, and quality, complex carbs. Real food only! Cut out the chemicals, fillers and preservatives. My favorite phrase right now…”You are what you eat – so don’t be easy, cheap, fast or fake!!!”
– Natalia Aguilar